Mrs Morrison's Hotel

The 100% personal official blog for Patricia Kennealy Morrison, author, Celtic priestess, retired rock critic, wife of Jim

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I was born..no, wait, sorry, that's "David Copperfield". Anyway, I was born in Brooklyn, grew up on Long Island, went to school in upstate NY and came straight back to Manhattan to live. Never lived anywhere else. Never wanted to. Got a job as a rock journalist, in the course of which I met and married a rock star (yeah, yeah, conflict of interest, who cares). Became a priestess in a Celtic Pagan tradition, and (based on sheer longevity) one of the most senior Witches around. Began writing my Keltiad series. Wrote a memoir of my time with my beloved consort (Strange Days: My Life With and Without Jim Morrison). See Favorite Books below for a big announcement...The Rennie Stride Mysteries. "There is no trick or cunning, no art or recipe, by which you can have in your writing that which you do not possess in yourself." ---Walt Whitman (Also @ pkmorrison.livejournal.com and www.myspace.com/hermajestythelizardqueen)

Friday, May 18, 2007

Into The West

Author Lloyd Alexander dead at 83


PHILADELPHIA - Lloyd Alexander, a prolific writer of children's books including the five-book series "The Chronicles of Prydain," died Thursday, May 17. He was 83.

Alexander died at his home in the Philadelphia suburb of Drexel Hill, said Jennifer Abbots, spokeswoman for his publishing company, Henry Holt Books For Young Readers. He had cancer, she said.

The final book in his Prydain series, "The High King," won the Newbery Medal from the American Library Association in 1969, being recognized as the best children's book of the year. Another book in the series, "The Black Cauldron," was named a runner-up for the medal in 1966, a status now known as a Newbery Honor Book.

His final novel, "The Golden Dream of Carlo Chuchio," is scheduled to be published by Holt in August. The publisher described it as an adventure in the tradition of Middle Eastern folk tales.

Alexander joined the Army at the start of World War II and got much of his training in Wales. His experiences in the area inspired many of his books.

He met Janine Denni, whom he married in 1946, while attending the University of Paris. She died two weeks before he did, Holt said in a statement.



He went to join his lady in the Summerland...who could be sad about that? And they were married the year I was born...goodness!

I never read his Prydein stuff until after I started writing my Keltiad stuff, and was interested to see how he made use of one of the same mines I worked myself: the Mabinogion, primarily, though he added a few bits and bobs from other sources.

I enjoyed it very much indeed, though I was rather possessively annoyed over his use of Gwydion (No! Prince of Don MINE!), which of course is totally silly, especially when Evangeline Walton, whom I did read before commencing Kelts, didn't annoy me with her Gwydion versioning in the slightest. Ah well.

Anyway, you did great, Lloyd. Diolch yn fawr! May your journey thrive!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home