Mrs Morrison's Hotel

The 100% personal official blog for Patricia Kennealy Morrison, author, Celtic priestess, retired rock critic, wife of Jim

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I was born..no, wait, sorry, that's "David Copperfield". Anyway, I was born in Brooklyn, grew up on Long Island, went to school in upstate NY and came straight back to Manhattan to live. Never lived anywhere else. Never wanted to. Got a job as a rock journalist, in the course of which I met and married a rock star (yeah, yeah, conflict of interest, who cares). Became a priestess in a Celtic Pagan tradition, and (based on sheer longevity) one of the most senior Witches around. Began writing my Keltiad series. Wrote a memoir of my time with my beloved consort (Strange Days: My Life With and Without Jim Morrison). See Favorite Books below for a big announcement...The Rennie Stride Mysteries. "There is no trick or cunning, no art or recipe, by which you can have in your writing that which you do not possess in yourself." ---Walt Whitman (Also @ pkmorrison.livejournal.com and www.myspace.com/hermajestythelizardqueen)

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Harry Potter and the Cinematic Kool-Aid (SPOILERS)

If you haven't seen the movie yet (or read the book...is that even possible??), stop here. Now. Go no farther.

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*

Okay. You've been warned...

I was disappointed. Not even in an angry way, just in a "meh" way.

The Burrow is TORCHED?? And yet nobody mentions it once they're back at Hogwarts...it's as if nothing had happened...where are the Weasleys going to live?

No Dursleys. No Dumbledore funeral!!!!! (Though I'm not really as upset about that as I thought I'd be...) No Lucius. (That DOES upset me...) No Bill and Fleur. No Scrimgeour. No "Other Minister" scene up front.

So cheesy, the bit where everybody held up their wand to salute Dumbledore, like the end of a 70's rock concert. Couldn't they manage lighters? Or fired off flaming streamer trails into the sky or something?

Too much repetitious Draco in the Room of Requirement. Though Tom Felton was terrific. And for all the people complaining that DR, EW and RG are getting too "old" for their parts, Felton looks about 30...

Alan Rickman is phoning it in. Maggie Smith looks much aged from the last one. I still don't like Michael Gambon as Dumbledore.

Those two boys who played Tom Riddle were awesome, and looked eerily like one another. (The younger one, Hero Fiennes Tiffin, is Ralph Fiennes' nephew.)

Very dark. Lighting-wise, I mean. Hard to make out what was going on. And if that was some stupid directorial decision ("Oooh, it's such a dark book! I know, let's shoot it through a paper bag, to make it LOOK dark too!"), he deserves to be hanged from the Astronomy tower.

I just wasn't very impressed or involved...odd, that.

As dear Dr. Johnson once said, "Worth seeing? Yes. But not worth GOING to see."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home